The official X4 announcement
Egosoft opened their doors to all fans on the latest X-con where they presented X: Rebirth VR and gave us the first look at the upcoming X4 titled – Foundations.
In X4 Egosoft tried to address most of the criticism from X: Rebirth, especially the one about flying multiple ships which got officially confirmed during the stream. So basically, players will be able to fly all the ships from small fighters up to XL capitals.
Another feature are co-pilots that will take over your ship navigation if you get out of the helm to do something else. The game will feature a brand new (full screen) map that will be shown as a holographic representation of the local zone and systems with stations and static objects on it. It will have multiple filters and simplified controls for fast display of wanted objects and items. For example, clicking on a specific station commodity will instantly filter it on the whole map so traders can get the info where to buy low and sell high immediately.
X4 will feature multiple factions (10 so far) and races, most of which you will be able to interact with on various stations. Now before you panic – Bernd himself said that the station gameplay has been reduced in comparison to X: Rebirth and judging by the demo shown in the stream – all of the NPCs are very close by the docking platform. Some missions, however, will require you to enter the station and talk to special mission NPCs in their private quarters.
Egosoft is still not sure if the game will be available as an early access title but the release is planned somewhere in 2018.
At the moment, the game looks and feels like X: Rebirth which is what could be expected since it is using the same Vulcan based engine as X: Rebirth VR, and all visuals and assets are a work in progress so we should expect a much more polished game by the end of the development cycle.
- Spaceflight sandbox - Acquire ships and upgrade their systems or create fleets of hundreds. From small scouts to massive capital ships
Fly them all from cockpit or bridge and remote command with a powerful map
Research new technologies like teleportation with the help of an ancient terran installation
- Full creativity with station construction
- Station and factory modules can be freely connected to form ever growing economic or military installations
- A massive universe awaits sheer endless opportunities for exploration. Find resources for mining and crafting, to acquire rare technologies. Explore ancient installations
Start into X4 from a variety of angles
- Represent different factions, ships and technologies
- Every start offers a new view at the universe, but all allow you to unlock everything
- Factions build and expand stations dynamically and react to the economy and military threats
- Every game can take a new and unexpected turn for the entire universe
- Trade with a single ship or rise to become an empire manager competing with entire civilisations.
- A fully simulated and dynamic economy reacts to changes on every level