Introducing the activity tracker
In-depth character stats and career overview will be a part of the winter expansion for EVE Online. The activity tracker will be a guide through the past and future of your character.
Did you ever want to know how many NPCs you have destroyed? Did you ever want to know how many Capsuleers you have obliterated? How about Citadels destroyed? Maybe you are interested in Exploration? Resource Harvesting? Industry?
With this Winter's expansion, all capsuleers will get access to their own personal activity tracker.
Whatever your play style, the activity tracker will provide meaningful visualization of you progress within New Eden's universe. The Activity Tracker is a place where you can set your own goals. It is also the best place to examine possibilities for a potential career change!
Categories & the tree view
The idea behind it is to map the context of the game into different categories and store data for each one of those categories. The visual representation takes the form of a tree, where your character holds the root. The tree is broken down into five main categories:
- Resource Harvesting
Let's see the breakdown of each category, what is stored in the database and how you visualize the data. In the images below, each box is a node in the Activity Tracker tree. The grey boxes are where the counters are stored (visually) and thus represent the end of the tree.
This is the single largest branch of the entire tree. Industry is broken down into the following paths:
Exploration is broken down into three categories:
- Signatures & Anomalies
- Project Discovery
Resource Harvesting has three categories:
- Planetary Production
NOTE: Planetary Production values in the Activity Tracker will update upon carrying out a new action on the planet
Encounters represent the biggest part of PvE content accomplishments within EVE. Here are the categories:
- Pirate Strongholds
- Abyssal Deadspace
- Faction Warfare
Within the Combat branch you can find:
- the number of NPC ships you have destroyed,
- the total bounties you have been awarded for killing NPCs
- The number of player owned ships and structures you have destroyed and
- statistics on how you have been using modules in PvP
Combat is split into two categories:
Points, weights & node levelling system
By now you have a clear understanding of the tree. Let’s lay down some terminology regarding the nodes of the Activity Tracker tree:
The nodes of the Activity Tracker can be distinguished into the following:
- Leaf-Nodes: Nodes that don't have children. They are the ones that hold the actual counters (i.e. the number of Tech I Small Ships you have manufactured). In the above images, all grey nodes are Leaf-Nodes.
- End-Nodes: Nodes that have Leaf-Nodes as children. In the images above, all nodes that have grey boxes hanging directly below them, are considered End-Nodes.
- Inner-Nodes: Nodes that don't have Leaf-Nodes as children. In the images above all nodes that have a non-grey box hanging below them, are considered Inner-Nodes.
- Every node has an associated 'weight' value.
- Every node apart from the Leaf-Nodes has 5 Levels.
- Each level requires a certain amount of points.
- Leaf-Nodes don't have points, they have counters (the absolute value of what you have been doing).
- Points for End-Nodes are calculated by the SumProduct of the counters and the leaf-nodes weights.
For example, the amount of points for the Distribution Missions would be:
(Number of Level 1 Distribution Missions COMPLETED) x (Level 1 Distribution Missions WEIGHT) + (Number of Level 2 Distribution Missions COMPLETED) x (Level 2 Distribution Missions WEIGHT) + (Number of Level 3 Distribution Missions COMPLETED) x (Level 3 Distribution Missions WEIGHT) + (Number of Level 4 Distribution Missions COMPLETED) x (Level 4 Distribution Missions WEIGHT)
- Points for Inner-Nodes are calculated with the same principle, though this time instead of having the counters, we multiply the points of the parent nodes, since the parent nodes are either End-Nodes or other Inner-Nodes.
For example, the amount of points for the Missions node would be:
(Distribution Node POINTS) x (Distribution Node WEIGHT) + (Mining Node POINTS) x (Mining Node WEIGHT) + (Security Node POINTS) x (Security Node WEIGHT) + (Storyline Node POINTS) x (Storyline Node WEIGHT) + (Epic Arcs Node POINTS) x (Epic Arc Missions Node WEIGHT)
- This paradigm continues down to the 5 main Categories (Industry, Exploration, Resource Harvesting, Encounters, Combat) and down to the root node, your Character.
Currently there are no plans for rewards or ‘unlocks’ from achieving levels within the activity tracker, but it is something CCP is considering for the future.
The Info Panel shows useful information about the currently selected node. Note that the leaf-nodes are not selectable. This is the information you should expect to find in the info panel:
Unfortunately, CCP will not implement retroactive counting of player activities. Several new events for the purposes of the Activity Tracker have been devised and to be fair to everyone, CCP opted to get the counters online, the same day the client updates.